Home PageContact UsSite MapEventsLinksMembership FormFalmouth Road RaceMapsStewardship Forms
Conservation Land in FalmouthFalmouth Massachusetts,Land conservation,preserve open space,300 Committee,protect land

Beebe Woods

watson on the trail1.png






Peterson Farm

 llama at peterson farm.png


Moraine / Mock Trails

West Falmouth





See Farms Conservation Area

East Falmouth

Beebe Woods consists of 383 acres of land given to the Town of Falmouth by Mr. and Mrs. Josiah K. Lilly, III in 1966.  Although the Woods show no evidence of colonial dwellings, we can tell by the relative youth of the trees and by the stone walls, that it provided lumber, firewood and pasture land to Native Americans and early colonists.

The Woods are a part of larger holdings acquired in the 1870's by James Beebe, who owned a Boston dry goods business that later became Jordan Marsh. He was one of the earliest of Falmouth's summer residents.  After the death of the last Beebe son, the land passed through several owners, and in 1966 was slated for a 500 home development when J. K. Lilly purchased it for future conservation.

Beebe Woods hosts an extensive network of walking trails that cover miles of varied terrain, exploring wooded ridges and steep-sided hollows, and encircle the picturesque pond know as the "Punch Bowl" that lies deep within the Woods.  The trails also connect at the southern end of Beebe Woods to Peterson Farm (See next property description

Directions: (1) Route 28 South past hospital lights to right on Depot Avenue.  Continue over tracks and past Highfield Hall into parking lot at Cape Cod Conservatory. (2) West on Ter Heun Drive from Jones Road and Route 28 lights. Past Falmouth Hospital and Gosnold to parking on left.

Purchased by the Town in 1988, the 88 acre farm is directly adjacent to Beebe Woods.  One third of the three millions dollar purchase price was raised by The 300 Committee.  The farm is composed of several parcels of land granted to John and William Weeks beginning in 1677 and is one of the oldest remaining farms on Cape Cod.  The farm is a fine example of a self-contained system, its abundant natural resources - ponds, marshes, fields and woodland readily sustaining animal and plant life, as well, of course, its human inhabitants.

Directions: Locust Street (Woods Hole Road) towards Woods Hole.  Continue .7 miles after the bike path crosswalk, right at McCallum Drive to immediate right at first driveway to farm.

Rich in geological and human history, the moraine tract derives its name - and its charm - from the characteristic ridges, boulders and kettle holes left behind as the margin of the Laurentide glacier melted. Until about 50 years ago, boulders of pink granite, transported by glacier from the coast of Maine, were painstakingly split with manual drills, shims and wedges for use in buildings, foundations and walks. (Note the carpenter shop at the corner of Blacksmith Shop Road.)

Important historical remains, located on the old main road, Old Post Road (now Friends Way), mark the first Friends (Quaker) burial ground on Cape Cod (1685) and the first Friends Meeting House in Falmouth(1720).

Directions: From Route 28A, take Blacksmith Shop Road to parking by tennis courts on left.  Enter trails at Friends Way (first road on left).

The Sea Farms Conservation Area and its trails embrace 67 acres of woodland, field and marsh, with beautiful frontage on scenic Bournes Pond and Israel's Cove.  A wide variety of well-maintained, level trails is great for walkers of all ages.

Directions: From the light at Route 28 and Davisville Road in East Falmouth, head south on Davisville; go one mile to Gayle Avenue.  Turn left and proceed to Sea Farms parking area, on right just after the beginning of the dirt road


Maps and trail guides to all these conservation lands are available at The 300 Committee office, 157 Locust Street, adjacent to the Shining Sea Bike Path.


Home Page | Contact Us | Site Map | Events | Favorite Links | Membership Form | Falmouth Road Race  | Conservation Land Maps | Stewardship Forms