About Nye Park
Abutting the North Falmouth Library, Frances A. Nye Park’s 7.88 acres feature three tennis courts, a basketball court, baseball diamond with backstop, a playground, swing set and woods. The park borders Cedar Lake (aka Flax Pond) and has a picnic area. There is a large dirt parking lot behind the library off Chester Street.
The Nye Family was the oldest family in the area, and at one time owned a vast amount of land stretching from West Falmouth to Mashpee. The Nyes and other North Falmouth residents were dependent upon Flax Pond as a source for ice, harvested during the winters of the 19th and early 20th centuries. The hillside that overlooks the pond was also a sacred Indian burial ground. The park, a gift to the town, was dedicated on July 4, 1917 with much celebration of and appreciation for the Nye family.
The park is on Chester Street, off County Road in North Falmouth.