Conservation Lands

The Knob

Back to Previous Page

With magnificent views of Buzzards Bay and Quissett Harbor, The Knob is a treasure to locals and the lucky visitors who have discovered it. These 12 acres were left by Cornelia L. Carey to Salt Pond Areas Bird Sanctuaries in the early 1970s in the hopes that the public would enjoy such an accessible and visually striking nature preserve.

In the 1800s, this section of Quissett was essential to the salt works and shipbuilding industries. After advances in transportation, visitors from upstate New York and New Jersey frequented summer homes or one of the many hotels and family resorts that had sprung up in the area. In 1877, Stephen W. Carey bought about 16 acres, which included the Quissett Harbor House. The hotel developed a loyal following as a family resort and was popular for many years. It closed in 1975.

Revetments along the narrow causeway were installed as a measure of protection against the elements. Since 1973, numerous other instances of armoring have been completed. Care has also been taken to plant native grasses and plants to help in the defense against erosion. Please help protect The Knob by staying on trails and leaving the protective stones in place.

The Knob is open to the public from dawn to dusk for bird watching, strolling, beach combing, and swimming. There is no lifeguard on duty. To reach The Knob, follow Woods Hole Road south from Falmouth center for about two miles. At the traffic lights, turn right onto Quissett Harbor Road and follow until its end by the docks. Limited parking is available along the road.

 

 

Article from "Falmouth's Quiet Treasures" series, published in The Falmouth Enterprise (Download word document)